Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

The Lady's Grace

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic
Itannar
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:34 pm Post subject: The Lady's Grace Reply with quote

Itannar Darkanor removed his helm and knelt in front of the enormous tree. Such trees were normally found only in Yew, his homeland. This one, greater than they all, was found in a flower-festooned glade in another land. It was guarded day and night by pixies, who permitted only those of good heart to approach it. They allowed Itannar to pass freely, and danced about in the air, clearly pleased in their task, confident of their ability and power to fulfill it.

Despite the size of the tree's thick branches, a light breeze caused many of them to sway gently. Its leaves fluttered and a few fell around him. Itannar bowed his head to pray. "M'lady. I know you hear me. You always listen to your servants, and I am one first to last," he said, and then paused briefly. "I need divine aid. I need wisdom. I am vexed by evil. If I move in one direction, I betray my code and my honor. If I move in another, or do nothing, I betray a dear brother. Please guide me... tell me what I must do."

Itannar had never before heard the voice of his goddess. Others had. He knew the young girl he had saved from the orcs in Yew, Malissin Ariesus, had heard her words. He knew Dharzhal T'Ar, the drow who had once served as her high priest, had also. He imagined himself unworthy to obtain such a blessing and had never sought it, but now he was desperate.

"Lord Thrax, the servant of your greatest foe, Oggaroth, works great evil against your Saints. He holds hostage my oldest, dearest, friend. He torments him daily. He reaches out with his evil hand and harms the Saints. He has caused our Lady Preceptor to wander the realms in confusion. He has darkened the minds of Flint and Marcus. He holds me hostage to his vile will. Help them, Lady! Help me. Just this once, help us, I beg you!" he implored.

Another breeze blew, but this one was different. It felt warm and was filled with the fragrance of jasmine and lavender. He felt suddenly at peace, despite himself. He heard a female voice, soft, and comforting. "Your prayer is heard, Itannar Darkanor. For you and the sake of your kinsman Miraj and my loyal paladins, I shall intervene directly. Yet you must have faith in me for what I ask of you. If your faith holds, you will succeed. If you doubt, I can do nothing, for my power is linked to your own faith in me. Dharzhal failed for that very reason."

"I believe in you, Lady. My faith is strong. Test it, and it will prove true," he replied confidently.

"First, you must publicly resign your position as magistrate of Yew as you meant to do. This will show your faith in me, for it is the one thing you fear to do, and that which Thrax would never believe you would do. You must speak to Malissin Ariesus. She will tell you what she has seen. Once my loyal paladins have fulfilled their part in this great quest, you will speak to the half-orc Durthagg. Show him that his wife and son are safe. He will do the rest."

"The "rest," m'Lady?"

"He will set free the one you love as your own brother. He is the only one who can. Go. Hesitation and doubt are your greatest foes now."

Itannar opened his eyes and looked up at the great tree. He was glad that this, her shrine, had been found in Malas. He smiled, donned his helm and called forth his ethereal unicorn to ride. He did not understand all of what she had told him, but he had faith it would be made clear in time. And he trusted her word. He invoked Sacred Journey and was gone.

The pixies continued their unceasing patrol, fluttering happily and gracefully on the breezes that swept through the glade.
Itannar
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:40 pm Post subject: Addendum: A Letter to the Yew Commonwealth Council Reply with quote

Itannar entered his castle bedchamber and seated himself at a desk. Taking pen and parchment, he made several copies of a letter, the substance of which is as follows:

"Hail Nobles and Councilors,

I first apologize for my absence. It was needful that I get away for a time. Much has preyed upon my mind, and I sought relief from it. Forgive me for any breach of trust.

Word has come to me that Elon stood in for me at Isk's trial. I wish to commend Elon for it. I have heard he judged the case well.

Second, I must submit my resignation as Magistrate of Yew. I do so, effective immediately. I do this for several reasons. There is no need to divulge them and I will not. I will say simply that it is needful that I do so, and that is all.

I was honored to receive the appointment. I now pass it on to one who is more capable of fulfilling it than I have been.

Warmly,
Itannar Darkanor"

He affixed his personal seal to them and sent them by carrier pigeon to the nobles and members of the Yew Commonwealth Council.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: