Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

The Long and Winding Road ==Short==

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Gallery of Origins
View previous topic :: View next topic
Deacon Drake
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:18 pm Post subject: The Long and Winding Road ==Short== Reply with quote

The Long and Winding Road
as told by Excelsius
===Short Version===

Name: Steel Skye.
Race: Mostly Human, a very small part unknown.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Profession: Paladin

Steel Skye was born, as one would say, with a silver spoon in his mouth. His parents were nobles in the once-bustling city of Nujel'm. His father, Robin Carver Skye, was a Guardian, an old band of elite knights, the Nujel'm equivalent of the modern Royal Britannian Guard.

When Steel was five, a small battle struck the northern part of the city, between the Guardians and a small band of the snake-like Ophidians. Both of his parents were lost, and his father's dying breath sent him to the city of Trinsic to live with his uncle, Blake Michael Skye.

Steel spent eleven years under the instruction of his uncle, learning to combine his skill with the sword with his advancingly tactical mind. He met a multitude of people in the small guard that Blake ran. When Steel was sixteen, his uncle was taken by a powerful demon by the name of Kronus.

After his uncle's death, he spent another three years under the teachings of a mage he had met when he first arrived in Trinsic, a sorcerer known as the Dreamer. When Steel was 19 years old, the Dreamer betrayed what was left of the guard in Trinsic, murdering several of Steel's friends right before his eyes. Steel survived, but not unscathed. A blow from the mage's poisoned dagger left a slit along his left eye. A spell of fire left a large pentagram-shaped burn on his back. Steel was kneeling over his lost comrades, knowing he had lost the battle. The Dreamer spared Steel, but not before cursing him. As he walked away, Steel screamed in pain from the acidic tears that were rolling down his face.

Since then, Steel has never wept again. The tears he shed were acid, a final curse of remembrance from the archmage.

It has been ten years since the Betrayal. Steel has been in a multitude of guilds and factions, including the once-populous Wilmeth, the Order of the Rose, even the Brotherhood of the Hand. Steel found solace in the Army of the Frontier until he heard the news. The coming of the Age of Shadows brought a plague with it, and the Town of Wilmeth was reduced to glowing cinders. Now he stands beside the mourning mayor, and the two men and one woman vowed to each other that the city would once again become its old glory.

And now, the mage is back. The treacherous Dreamer has been spotted a number of times in the lands of Ilshenar. Only this time, Steel stands alone. He won't let anyone else follow him to their death.

Only once will the two men come together, for only one will walk away.
Deacon Drake
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

[Above is the condensed parts One and Two.]

The Beginning of a New End
(Part Three of "The Long and Winding Road")

[shortened version]

There is nothing left to say.
The stone floor feels cold under my face.
I never thought the Empath Abbey
would be my final resting place.

How I could have been so foolish
to even come to the call,
evades me even now as I lay down
and my life begins to pall.

My blood turns cold when it hits the floor
and I slowly close my eyes.
"I let him find me..." my mind runs o'er
and my body slowly dies...

When Steel Skye received the invitation something didn't quite feel right. The parchment that was tied to the falcon's leg was scribbled quickly, as if the letter was not thought out before it was written. It was an invitation from an anonymous "officer" as he or she deemed themselves for a small alliance against the Orcs. Steel, knowing that his small force of scouts held no chance to face the large army of orcs, had no choice but to consider it.

The unknown officer wanted to meet at the Empath Abbey in Yew. Steel found this odd, as even though it was in Trammel, the city of Yew in Felucca was the homeland of the orcs. But he went on.

When he arrived at the Abbey, there was not a soul in sight. The entire building was dark, cold, and surprisingly humid. The large wooden doors creaked loudly, echoing through the massive building as they moved. Steel took ten steps into the Abbey and stopped to look around for any sign of life.

As he turned around to exit, knowing something was wrong, the double doors quickly slammed shut, the loud bang echoing almost eternally through the halls. Without hesitation, one word crossed Steel's mind: run.

The man had guarded the Abbey enough to know all of its secrets. One example was the hidden door set in stone in the Altar Room. As Steel began to run toward the back of the Abbey, he noticed an odd sensation. His boots made no sound as they struck the stone floor. It felt almost as if he were dead.

Steel was less than twenty feet from the metal door when he felt the oddest sensation. The coldness of the Abbey was instantly dispelled by an intense warmth that seemed to be radiating form the Altar Room. Steel tried to turn and run, knowing what the heat was coming from, but it was too late.

In a flash of fire and molten rock, the metal door exploded off its frame and was sent rolling in the air like a cannon ball. Steel could feel his arm searing as the red-hot door struck it. He was knocked to the floor, unable to breath in the heat, and unable to look away from the horrid sight before him.

The Altar Room was on fire. In the frame of the doorway, a massive figure was attempting to force its way through the small doorway. The smoking creature spread its wings and advanced on Steel. He recognized it as the mythical demon, Kronus. He had only seen the being once before, but recognized it easily.

He's been raised. Steel got on his feet and sprinted to the front, in hopes of his momentum forcing the large doors off the hinges, when he was stopped suddenly by a man in front of him. The man was about average height and build, and was wearing a dark robe and cloak with a bear mask on his head. His face was unforgettable, a cold scowl never leaving it and a goatee in the shape of the letter "W" covering his chin.

Steel didn't have time o recognize his old friend, the Dreamer. With a cold "Hello," the archmage forced a long, slender dagger into Steel's gut. Without a change in facial expression, the mage turned and walked away.

Steel wanted to stand and fight the mage, but he couldn't. He could already feel the runes on the blade burning, sending a mystical poison through his body. Within seconds, he collapsed, unable to move, unable to think... unable to feel.

As if a spreading flood, the horrible images of the dark, twisted Abbey began to correct itself. The building was lit instantly, the flaming Altar Room was restored, and the demon vanished without a trace. He was in the Abbey, in broad daylight as it had always been, his blood creating a dark red pool around him. The building was no longer empty, as monks and citizens came from their rooms, yawning as if they had been asleep.

A woman screamed and a throng of people surrounded the body of Steel. One monk bent down by the man and felt for a pulse, looking ready to give care.

"He's dead..."
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Gallery of Origins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: