Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

RANT: 50th Aniversary of Doctor Who. "Where's the Beef

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic
Lady Ditto Armunn
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm Post subject: RANT: 50th Aniversary of Doctor Who. "Where's the Beef Reply with quote

okay so BBC is doing this whole documentary thing on 50 yrs of the Doctor. That's nice. And would be a good preliminary to something bigger.

I'm seeing and hearing alot of "fantastic" and "wonderful" episodes that are coming up. But since several actors that have been the Doctor in the past (including my fav, David Tennant), NOT yet being asked to appear in some sort of special.....well, it has me asking "Where's the Beef?" C'm On BBC! Fans WANT something special about the specials. It's do'able! They've proven that in the past!

I get that Moffet has ideas. And, yes, he's proven that over the past 3 seasons. We just need to see him have a GOOD one. The world NEEDS the Doctor to be at his best! This "bold new direction" he says he'll be taking the series has me groaning in worry since the last time I heard that about a BBC show was Being Human. That bold new direction ended up being "cancellation" because the new staff of the show just didn't create the good stories and vibe that made the show great. I've been hanging in there with the 11th Doctor. I keep waiting to "feel the vibe" that Doctor Who made me feel and that I've kept since I was a little girl. But, other than a couple of episodes over the last 3 years....it's not been there. (funny thing, the episodes that had that "Doctor Who feel" to them were written by former writing teams). Moffet's work on past Doctor Who (10th Doctor) were some of my least favs, but thankfully they had a crew, and actor, that still made it work.

They didn't have the fancy bigger budget they do now. Maybe thats part of the problem? Does the bigger budget take away from that warm, fuzzy, & exciting "Doctor Who" feeling? I'm not sure what it is. I just know that since Moffet took over, it feels like an interesting, yet generic tv show that I'm watching. The 5th,6th,7th, 9th & 10th Doctor crews made me feel like I was experiencing an adventure and they didn't achieve it with bigger sets, bigger budgets, and gothy costumes better left to the Pirates franchise (they could pull it off). They stuck to the basics, and cherished the past, yet allowed us to cozy up to new directions. "Bold new direction"? Sounds like a great idea on paper, but, and trust me on this... you don't want so much new that it smothers the basics. When we see that old villian, monster, companion, or even doctor, its like seeing a relative you haven't seen in a long time. It's nice to know they are still out there, doing fine. BUT, whatever happens, if old things are brought back.... they need to STICK TO THE BASICS, the core of who/what they are. Not mutate them into something so much more that they become so much less. As what happened to my once favorite monsters, The Weeping Angels. (No longer my favorite.) Thats not bringing back the old, thats mutilating it...IF they must do that, then FINE. Eventually even more fans will be lost. HOPEFULLY they'll have the good sense and heart to not mutilate the Ood. They've seen enough torture!

um... so yes, They really need to make us all happy and bring back some of the old stuff, but ONLY if they can resist the urge to mutilate it, like they did with the poor weeping angels. Once feared, now laughed at.

=Left Hand Suzuki Method=
Quote: "Oh Great! First I get stabbed and now I'm bleeding!" - Ditto
Tarothin Armunn Quote: "I know and I have mood swings like a pregnant woman at times. :/ I'm very random."
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100% and now you got me started about Moffat. Ever since he took over fully and Davies stopped co-producing, it's been a dark steampunk-esque takeover that is bordering on ( even for Doctor Who ) far-fetched and grasping plotlines. Anyone that knows me knows I've been watching DW since I was like 2, in the black and white days. I was uber excited when they had the new series start with Chris Eccleston and Dave Tennant. Love Matt Smith, too but Moffat needs to stop copying the American TV series method. He broke a season in half with a break between that. We've had like 6 episodes and then a LOOOOOOOONNNG break and then some whacked one stand xmas episode that was enough to get us in the DW mood but.. yet.. still no new season? And since he took over we've had more breaks and pauses between seasons/episodes and less actual footage. Where's our spring specials?? We had them before Dave Tennant and Russel Davies left but I've yet to see one since. I sincerely hope it doesn't continue down this path and end in cancellation. I was so happy Doctor Who was finally soaring in popularity in the US and that it had a decent budget. I started watching back when their special effects were in black and white and consisted of things like spaceships hung by string off screen.

edit in- I wanted to say that the start of the new series with the 9th doctor was following canon, from books and fiction ( including comics ). A lot of the new stuff feels like it is just Moffet going off on his own ideas into the middle of nowhere.
Molly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Being Human is now alive and well and done in America on Syfy network every Monday night (different actors and story line is a little different but still great), along with Lost Girl which is one of the best shows I have seen in a long time. The premise of Lost Girl if you don't watch it is she is Fae (like Molly lol) and she refuses to choose an alignment between dark fae and light fae. This gives her the opportunity to persue justice between the two sides. Syfy has hit it on the head with those two. I also like Continium which is on Monday nights also. This one is a future gone back to the past to stop things from happening in the future (both sides in this drama are bluring the lines between changing and correcting). Great stuff.

I have been waiting for the Doctor for a while and I check every couple days to see if it is coming back on. The Christmas episode was off the chain and I can't wait to see where next season goes.
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoGDbJ5nLU
= Imryrr Armunn =
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly wrote:
Being Human is now alive and well and done in America on Syfy network every Monday night (different actors and story line is a little different but still great),

I still lub ya, Molly, even if we have different opinions on the Syfy version.

(wow, I didnt rant about it being a poor copy-paste rip off wanna-be of the awesome bbc show this time. Cat would be proud o' me Smile )
Hawk/ICQ#: 617689603
Enoch: "now I'm gonna have to make up some lich version of poo"
Isk
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Game of Thrones starts soon and you people are all up on Who? I admit it is a decent enough show but c'mon.... GAME OF THRONES!!!
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Game of Thrones, Trueblood... it goes on. Not soon enough. I'm hoping GoT has more episodes this season than last 'cause it just went by too damn fast for me haha Wink
Trillin
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Isk wrote:
Game of Thrones starts soon and you people are all up on Who? I admit it is a decent enough show but c'mon.... GAME OF THRONES!!!

*jerks it* can't wait
= Imryrr Armunn =
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Game of Throne episodes are suppose to be like 4 mins longer or something like that. Its not more episodes but at least its something. Hehe. I would be happy with a cpl more episodes. It DID go over way too soon.

... omg..i forgot what happened last episode.
Lady Ditto Armunn
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The BBC announced on 30 March 2013 that Tennant and Billie Piper will return to Doctor Who for the 50th anniversary special in late 2013, alongside current Doctor Matt Smith and companion Jenna-Louise Coleman (as the Eleventh Doctor and Clara Oswald, respectively).

WooT!!!!!!!!

*sings a happy song and does an Ood happy dance*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=2c6qENWh2jQ&feature=fvwp

=Left Hand Suzuki Method=
Quote: "Oh Great! First I get stabbed and now I'm bleeding!" - Ditto
Tarothin Armunn Quote: "I know and I have mood swings like a pregnant woman at times. :/ I'm very random."
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Eccleston declined the invite. Sad I liked his angry Doctor.
= Imryrr Armunn =
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! He was one of the best.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: