Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Who's trying Guild Wars 2?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:07 pm Post subject: Who's trying Guild Wars 2? Reply with quote

I'll be going into this fully intent on WvWvW and sPvP. Gonna go straight into the Mesmer class as well. Got a group of guys planning on doing tournament stuff. But aside from PvP, GW2 offers so much in terms of content, replayability, and just plain old goofy fun. The PvE looks really fun and engaging, and after 3 beta weekends, I'm pretty psyched for this.

And, you know, no monthly fee = win.

I know some of you are trying it as we've talked, but who else?
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played it or seen it, but I played through all 3 campaigns of GW 1, excluding the north. I will wait until I hear more about it, besides, I just got back into UO.
Shaemus McBlade
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't want to rain on your parade but despite all of the hype about GW2, having played the first guild wars when it was released (and once later) I am extremely hesitant to bother with this one. Guild Wars was one of the worst mmos (free ones

included) that I have ever played, and I have played several over the years. The game basically amounted to a bad and clunky single player quest based (not sandbox) pvm RPG, where your only interaction with other players was selling stuff or

dancing in towns. the pvp was separate, wow style, and mostly with koreans. Moreover, The pvp quality was on an age of conan level : (. Unless it gets good reviews AND manages to retain its playerbase for first 6 months I doubt i can be convinced

to go grab it. I hope it proves me wrong though, as there has been a distinct lack of good mmos lately.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't bother with the first one myself. It was a mess, unless you were interested in PvE endgame content only. PvP was ridiculous with 100 potential class combos. GW2, though, has changed that.

I originally had no intention of getting it, but then I tried the first beta weekend, and I'm hooked Surprised

Fluid controls with skill-based pvp (items having 0 weight in pvp). Can't ask for much more from a pvp game.
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I really loved the storyline, and the world was gorgeous. That was how I learned my videocard was out of date and it was time to get a new one. lol But yeah I couldn't take the end game content
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the video I show people if they haven't heard anything/much:

Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had fun with the engineer class! The final event was a lot of fun.
Malorn ‎(12:14 AM):
I'm an idiot
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get to stick around for any of the final events except the first one (which was the worst one, go figure). Engineer class is like Mesmer in the idea that it doesn't have the best tool for any situation, but it has a tool for every situation. A buddy of mine and I spent about 5-6 hours in WvW as an Engineer/Mesmer duo doing guerrilla strikes on Darkhaven, and didn't die once. So many close encounters, though.

Also, jumping puzzles. So many, and so fun.
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long debate against myself, I have finally decided to buy the game Wink Just wasn't sure if I would do what I did with star wars... I picked it up and as soon as I hit 50 put it back down... At least with Guild Wars 2 once you buy it there is no monthly payments!!!!

cant wait to try it out.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Star Wars was its game engine. The game engine could not handle 15-20 people on one screen. Also, ability delay made PvP incredibly frustrating.

These issues are not present in GW2. In GW2, before they even optimized the game for the GPU, I was in WvWvW with no less than 120 people on my screen, getting 25 FPS. 25 FPS with 120 people, without an optimized GPU. That's AMAZING!

Movement is fluid, ability response time is fast. You feel in control.

Also, if you don't have a group to roll with, let me know. The guild I'm with is going to make a separate guild for "family and friends," while remaining very exclusive as far as who we recruit (strong PvPers, of course). So if you just want people to roll with, come along. And if you want to be hardcore into PvP, I'm sure you'll get noticed. This goes for anyone, btw.
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Cal, Been watching some videos to get myself pumped for a beta weekend lol Wink
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

No more beta weekends! Goes live the end of August Wink
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT WHAT im gonna be in the black for the first week then OMG *DIES*
Willow Smythe
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

We've talked about this Trillin! C'mon you know you want to be part of my Asuran horde!
Malorn ‎(12:14 AM):
I'm an idiot
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Asuran dodge animations are the best. Also, their /laugh and /cry are pretty funny.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: