Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Death is a Gift

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic
Zendella Smythe
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:18 am Post subject: Death is a Gift Reply with quote

The gift he gave me. That is what I speak of now, before I move on and return to my brethren. He gave me death.

The ghost shimmers softly the flowers around her, purple and blooming, seeming to take on a richer appearance.

It was early spring; my young sister (Nightshade) and I had fled to a new place. We had had troubles in our past, sadness and loss, and I was looking for a new start. I came to join a group known as the Druid's of Britannia. They were indeed a noble group. Wise, and much greater in the powers of life and death than any I had ever encountered. They were lead by a great lady her name... Maelwyn ab'Arawn. Oh I know the last name puts you off, there are many ab'Arawns who are nothing like Maelwyn. Yet she was my mentor. From her sprung the will of Lord Oaks.

We, lead by Maelwyn, soon became wardens of Fire, Earth, Air, Water, Life and Death itself. Malikhia was a mage unlike any other he was fire itself, rapid wild and destructive. Tavish he was the very calmness of earth the very solid bit of terra firma beneath your feet. He was like binding glue. I was air, Wisteria they used to joke, is your head full of it? But no air was the greatest companion and lover it floated around me it blew tempests and was soft and light. Then there was Doirrean, my protector and incidentally the warden of water, she was able to send massive waves crashing down on boats, or feed the hungry starvation of a struggling plant. Life and Death I always thought lived in Maelwyn for many times she was both, she brought the balance and understood that you must have both you must live and die.

Sadly I could not die. The first time I should have, a fire broke out on the ship I was on. It raged and burnt me to ashes. That is when the blood of the phoenix infused within me brought on my terrible curse. I was constantly reborn from the ashes. Never to die, and every time I was reborn I could remember the horror of my death, and it fragmented my mind. Finally I had degraded to barely a soul left, the dark places of my mind vast and I could barely remember my name. Multiple personalities emerged, none of them me, none of them Wisty.

At last I could bear it no more. I had held on so long, for my children’s sake that is, my dear Varrius, my little Zen and Gray. Yet I was no longer really their mother. I was a druid who should of been dead. I should be a spirit that traveled other realms and worked besides Oaks as Maelwyn did. My final reward had been stolen from me.

So I began my search alone. I was no longer needed, my daughter Zen had become a beautiful young girl, my son Varrius was happy and doing well. Gray had found his calling, strange child that he was. I will never forget my Adara either. The child lost to Toren and me in our dreams. Perhaps I will see her soon. Toren, he was as fragmented as me, and we had always been the embodiment of life and death.

The pen that writes her story pauses as the spirit softly considers her next words.

If they should ever hear of this, which I write now, then know that I loved you all.

I am getting distracted; let me return to my tale. So I had a thought, as to how I could be released from this curse, and it had to do mainly with the ashes of my body. There was one that knew ashes to ashes and dust to dust like no other. So I sought him out, my old friend, the Prophet Tavish En'Dahrin. If he was dead then it was all for naught, yet somehow I knew I would find him that he was still there.

Find him I did, hidden away at the top of a great hill in yew, his house simple and he was a bit of hermit. This did not surprise me. He had aged as well but still he was the Tavish I knew. My heart panged seeing him, I missed he and Mal, Alonwyn and Dory, and dear Crickette. I will never forget the others either, Valimus, and then there was Lady Astar and Lord Faer who had married. Aye it pained me to see Tavish again but it was necessary. I could almost feel Maelwyn calling me home. Perhaps just a trick of my fragmented mind.

When I explained the situation, he got that very calm contemplative look on his face. He walked about me and stared. He was rather surprised at my revelation I think, and what I had asked him to do. Yet he knew that it was right. It seemed as if the earth was talking to him, begging him to send my body home so it could renew itself properly so my spirit would be free. He acquiesced.

He laid me then on a pile of dirt, sprinkled various herbs around me, and he touched my forehead lightly. I begged him to hurry for soon the madness of my mind would no longer stay at bay. So he worked even faster drawing a line around me with his staff, a sort of binding circle. He chanted and it seemed that the earth jutted around us closing us off from the outside world, and from the heavens I saw a bright light. Perhaps it was the hand of some great spirit; perhaps it was the love of those that had passed before me coming to rescue me from my torture.

I felt very calm in fact I felt at peace and the light grew hotter, brighter, and began to burn. Do not worry though, it may have hurt I don’t recall, but I didn’t care. I was so eager for my freedom. I heard his last words said softly in my ear as my body burned away the ashes being absorbed into the ground

'May the Earth Hide you, may the earth heal you...may the earth make you its own'

The ground where this occurred is now covered with many blooming plants that shall be reborn again and again. In fact I know that the purple Wisteria grows there and hangs like a thick curtain. It is lovely and strangely, oddly, the chill of winter does not touch those plants, the phoenix blood has gone to better use if you ask me.

So I am free, you will not find my body, I will not burst from the flames anymore. My physical form is done on this plane. Yet I am around, sometimes the wind will whisper my name. It will even call out perhaps. You who knew me know that I am always there and I am with you. Know that I am free, that Death is a great gift. Embrace it when your time has come.

In Loving Memory of Wisteria DeChambray-Smythe.
Born Britannian Date: April 45, 327
Died Britannian Date: April 45, 377.
Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: