Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

question about locking discussions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> Support and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:35 am Post subject: question about locking discussions Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right place, but I had a question about what seems to be a standard practice here that I find rather puzzling. Perhaps someone can offer an explanation for why this is done:

Often, I notice that someone starts a thread for public discussion, but for one reason or another they decide they do not like the direction that the discussion has taken and request that the thread be locked, and it is.

It may just be me, but I find that kind of a head-in-the-sand way of ignoring any difference of opinion when it would probably be more constructive in the long run to go ahead and have the discussion so that you can at least understand and respect someone else's opinion even if you don't agree with it. Uncivil posts can and should be removed, but it has always seemed kind of weird to me to bail on an entire thread at the drop of a hat. Repeat offenders for nasty posting just need to be banned. It seems even more weird to me that you'd go back and say "oh wait, I don't want to talk about that after all" because things didn't go quite the way you'd planned... that is, after all, the nature of a discussion with other people.
Mave Gerhart
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The original poster on a topic always has the choice to request that the topic that they started be locked. It is their topic, therefore it is their choice how far they want to let it go. However, there is no rule that the discussion cannot carry over into another thread started by someone who may have had a differing opinion. As long as the previous discussion was carried on in a civil manner and the thread was not locked because it was getting out of hand, the topic could be reopened in another thread.

In summary, as I understand it, when a poster requests his thread locked, that is it, it is only his thread that is locked. If you wish to continue the discussion, by all means start your own thread and continue.

"If you have to explain why it makes RP sense, then odds are it doesn't" -Leshok (or his DM)

[01:48] Deathwisp: well I always rub the fuzzy part before I pull it off
[01:48] Mave: ...what?
[01:49] Deathwisp: you know, the fuzzy... nvm
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically, the person who starts the thread essentially "owns" it? This is pretty different than other forums I've visited, and I don't remember it always being an official rule here. Was there anything in particular that precipitated it or was it just a gradual thing?
Bailos
Grand Inquisitor
Grand Inquisitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always been practice here to let posters ask for their threads to be locked. I personally only lock threads if the objective has been met. That is to say the original intent has been fulfilled.

Also, of course, pending their request
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote

As you put it arcana, every overgrown turkey has the option to stick their head in the sand if the thread does not go the way they wish. Laughing And when do they ever?

This is why I copy/paste my rule bending posts (generally where I dare suggest that someone is in the wrong over something, which gets things locked and deleted the most), or simply continue threads that get locked here over on 'that other forum that shall not be named'. oh poo i swear i didn't hide a url in this post at all
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the replies guys, but no one's really answered my question about why the practice exists and why its considered ok.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:32 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it exists so people don't get upset. And people get upset REALLY EASILY these days. So it happens more frequently.
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The practice exists basically because it has always existed as long as I can remember. Whether this is a good reason or not, there it is. There is no legitimate reason to discontinue this practice so it carries on. As far as why it is considered ok is because it does not break any board rules and really, in itself, does not hinder any discussion that may be going on.

As I said above, when a poster requests his/her thread locked, that is what is locked, his/her thread, not the topic as long as it has remained a calm, civil discussion. Anyone is free to continue the discussion in their own thread which they in turn may lock if they wish to.

Many times this comes into play when the discussion doesn't stay strictly on the topic that original poster intended. It may not have sidetracked enough to warrant moderator attention but it has changed enough to where the original poster feels his/her original question is not being answered. This gives the other people that may have swerved into another lane the chance to begin their own thread about the new topic.

Plain and simple, the act of allowing the starter of a thread the power to lock their own thread in no way hinders any civil discussion that may be taking place. At worst it forces someone else to click their mouse button a few more times to create a new thread.

"If you have to explain why it makes RP sense, then odds are it doesn't" -Leshok (or his DM)

Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it just contributes to the oversensitivity of most people in this community, personally. I also think these boards require a ridiculous amount of moderation to keep things civil.

But thanks, Mave, that's pretty much what I thought.

I swear I'm not trying to troll Wink just to prompt hopefully a few people to perhaps take a more reflective view at what goes on around here.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plain and simple, the act of allowing the starter of a thread the power to lock their own thread in no way hinders any civil discussion that may be taking place. At worst it forces someone else to click their mouse button a few more times to create a new thread.

So the only requests from a topic starter to lock their thread were because the discussion was not civil? Very Happy It is quite the opposite from what I've seen, people request their threads closed because they were shot down and their fragile ego can't take people agreeing with whatever shot them down, or they start drama and it doesn't go the way they want so they want the instant 'it never happened!' button so they don't look bad. Rarely has a post been locked at the request of the topic starter because the post was not civil; if it isn't civil, the mods should lock it without asking the topic starter if its okay in most, if not all cases, no?

I think that is what Arcana is trying to get at.

Fun fact: My 2 cents has now added up to $103.34.
Mave Gerhart
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Kuja, I have now taken $52.34 from your stash for not understanding what I wrote down Wink . Read it again. I said that civil discussions were not locked, only the thread which the author started. Yes, someone may request a thread locked for their own selfish, childish reasons. Be that as it may, it does not stop someone from continuing the discussion in their own thread. The only time you cannot continue a discussion by starting a new thread is when a mod locked it because it was getting out of control. Civil discussions remain open for further commentary whether the original thread is locked at originator request or not.

...have you been to sleep yet? hehe

Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I read out of context then I suppose, because my thought was "Uh, if a civil discussion is taking place in a thread and that thread is locked for childish reasons by the original poster, then of course it disrupts that discussion". The rest of my rant I stick by though, even though it is more a general rant then it is a reply to what you said since I misunderstood it.

So thats why I have no money? Jeez :<

And for your information, I woke up at a semi normal time. I have dailies to do, and I need to farm some more [Primal Water].

....Oh no, I'm linking items by accident! I'm infected! Crying or Very sad

(Now, how many of you nerds clicked the item link? Teehee.)
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, I clicked your [primal water] thingie. God. I need a WoW intervention or something. Farm me some primal air while you're at it >.>

Anyway, Mave and Kuja you both did get at the gist of what I'm saying "... that thread is locked for childish reasons by the original poster, then of course it disrupts that discussion" - I think that right there is an actual problem because it just panders to certain people's fragile egos and endless whining, and it gives them an "official" blessing for their behavior. Locking a thread for their childish reason tells them and the rest of the community that acting like a child is ok.
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear if you people can't keep this civil, I'm going to request this post be locked.

Laughing

^_^ JK
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

omg, Cein made fun of me, I want this thread locked!

j/k Razz
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: