Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

The End of the Road

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mark Randerstill
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:29 am Post subject: The End of the Road Reply with quote

The warm breeze moving gently through his hair, it was another beautiful day in the city. He looked around slowly. Straight ahead, the beach was visible, blocked only by the sight of Isk standing behind a podium, to his sides and behind, it was a sea of people, men, women, and children of all shapes, sizes, and colors; each of them waiting anxiously for the words of Isk to move over them.

“Today, we stand together, every man, woman, and child, all of us finally working for the same goal. Humanity is strong, stronger than we have ever been. Today is the day we take back all that we have earned.” Isk said as the masses hung on every word he spoke.

The Cause had finally reached its maximum? Humanity was once again in possession of all that was rightfully hers? He must have been sleeping while all this work was done. It is impossible to remember the steps taken to reach this goal… Did it matter? Humanity had won. The battle was over. No longer would he watch his brothers and sisters suffer as field hands to the Elven rulers… He closes his eyes slowly…

Cold…

He opens his eyes…all around him there is stone. He turns his head slightly to the side. In the corner of the room, speaking in quiet whispers, are Gohan and Mazuki.

It was a dream. Reality has hit him hard. He cannot move. The cold air on the island of Caina radiates through the stone walls. He hears them whisper. Erratic thoughts go through his head. Is it really that bad?

“G…gohan…” he speaks quietly, his voice barely audible. “I will not…” he pauses, taking a deep breath. “Last much longer… Do not...let them think I went without a fight..." he gasps for air slightly as he searches for the strength to continue. "Watch Charles...and Nadia for me...keep them safe...teach them..." he coughs violently. "Tell my wife...I am sorry...and I love her..."

He closes his eyes. His thoughts slowly drift from his surroundings…

Warm again…

The children play in the water, he looks down to his lap, his wife laying there, looking up at him. He smiles at her, leaning down to kiss her forehead. He is living perfection. He will live this perfection forever.
Sadira Reflov
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Alizia was helping a sick child when she got the feeling something was wrong. She could not help the nawing feeling she had deep in her gut. She passed it off as the fact she didn't have anything to eat yet this day. Though in her heart and mind..it was something else rather than hunger. She quickly finished up at the healers and made her way back to her room at the Inn. Charles was playing with the Innkeepers children. She went to him and gave him a kiss on the forehead. He just smiled up at her and returned the kiss. She went straight to their room and went to the writing desk. She took out a parchment and quill and began to write.

My dearest Mark,

I am writing to you to see how you are faring. I have asked a few about you, when I made a trip to Maginica but none seemed to know how things were with you. You have been in my thoughts alot and I am sorry for going against your wishes. Especially after I had heard news, from my sister Natasha, of Molly's sight vanishing once again. I thought for sure it would not have..for had I known that it was only temporary and non lasting..I would not have destroyed our marriage. You are my love and my heart. Please write to me to let me know how you are doing. I would really like to meet up so that perhaps we could talk about trying to put the pieces of our marriage back. Charles misses his father, and I miss my husband. Even if you are still upset with me, please at least write to me so that I may know of your well being. I hope to hear from you soon. Til our paths cross again, take care my love.

Love always,
your wife Ali

She then sent the letter by messenger to Magicina. She figured that someone would be there that could give Mark the letter. She sat back and gazed upon the candle watching the flame flicker in its eternal dance. The feeling deep in her gut only making her sadden and wistful.
Drake Wyntermore
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

To: Cuthbert Allgood

I am saddened to say that this letter bears grim news. Here in Magincia, we mourn the passing of Mark Randerstill. I remember that you were very good friends with him, at one point and I am sorry to be the one to deliver the news, but I felt it would only be right to tell you. We are having a commemoration for Mark that we’d like you to attend, at the end of next week. Although you are apart from the Party now, you had a lasting effect on all of us, especially Mark.

Hoping to see you soon,
Drake Wyntermore
Hand of Humanis
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cuthbert
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuthbert read the letter over while sitting at his desk. Open books, maps and papers lay before him. He pushed them all off the desk onto the floor with one sweep of his arm, clearing the space in front of him. He set the letter down on the desk and stared at it for awhile, letting his eyes go out of focus. The paper became a blur in front of him. He blinked hard a few times to right his vision and sighed deeply.

Mark Randerstill was dead. It was so odd to him in a way. For some reason he always imagined getting a letter such as this about Artero, but never about Mark. He wasnt sure how to react. Mark and Cuth had been close friends when Cuthbert had finally left Humanis, but their friendship hadnt always been so steadfast. The guild was thrown into chaos when Artero left, and there was animosity between Mark and Cuth at the time about whom should be running the guild. For a brief amount of time they both ran it until finally Mark had taken over full control. Now he was dead. Who was running the guild? Who was still even in the guild? Hector wasnt the Mayor of Magincia anymore, that much he knew.

He took another deep sigh and began to stare at the wall. Should I go to his service...? Its been so long since Ive seen any of them... Do they think ill of me for leaving so long ago? These thoughts ran in a continous loop in his head until he finally decided that regardless of any awkwardness about seeing his old brethren from Humanis, he would go to the service. He would say his final goodbye to Mark. He would honor the dead. It wasnt that he thought he owed it to Mark, it was simply that his gut told him that this was the right thing to do. They were friends, they were guildmates, they were soldiers together. You always honor your fallen comrades.

Cuth began to write a letter in reply to Drake (Drake, my god, he's still there... he thought to himself). He wrote carefully, trying to express grief and condolences. Halfway through the letter he tore it up. It didnt feel right. He penned a quick response instead and sent it out to Drake.

Drake,

Thank you for the notice of Mark's death. I will most certainly be present at his commemoration at the end of next week.

Until then,

Cuthbert

Cuth 10:01 PM: hey man what ended up happening?
Isk 10:02 PM: I killed an orc, the other 4 killed me then they peed on me and the banner.
Cuth 10:03 PM: lmao. okay, so we must get them back
Isk 10:04 PM: I got f**kin peed on. so, yea

Long gone but not forgotten:
Humanis Homepage
Drake Wyntermore
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake had been extremely busy over the past few days and barely had time for his own grief. Just as the Humanis Party was looking up again, he received word that Mark Randerstill had passed away. Since then, he’d done nothing but work to straighten things out. The citizens of Magincia mourned and everyone constantly asked about Mark. There was the commemoration to set up and people to console. Plus, lessons had to continue. Drake wished he could just take a break and remember Mark by himself. But, currently, he was at the front desk of the Stag and Lion inn.

“Is there any more back mail for Mark Randerstill?”

“Yes, there’s just this one letter - came in from Yew today. Could you please sign out for it, Mister Wyntermore?”

“Yes, certainly. Thank you.”

Drake signed his name (something he’d done quite often over the past few days) and took the letter back to his room. He passed over the body of the message and looked down to the last line: “Ali.” Drake sighed deeply and ran a hand through his hair. He had forgotten about Alizia, amongst all the mourning in Magincia.

Putting the letter aside, Drake used some parchment of his own to create a reply:

---

Alizia,
It pains me terribly to write this message, but at the present time, there is naught I can do but give condolences. Mark passed away two nights ago in the care of Gohan. No one really knows the real story yet but rumor has it that it was due to some non-human poison.

The Party, the citizens of Magincia and myself all give our most heartfelt apologies to you and your family. Mark was a special man to all of us. Not only was he a leader that could never be replaced, but was also more then that. He was a father figure for the whole Party. Even though Mark and I disagreed often and fought over things, I always looked up to him. He was strong in both his convictions and his actions – never backed down in the fight for Humanity.

Mark always said that he would give his life for Humanity. We never really thought it would come to that, but I think Mark was happy with his life. He led the city of Magincia and the Party to great things. Amongst legendary and unique men, he stood out most. So, I pray that when you remember Mark, do not think of his ill feelings towards your friend, but remember who he really was. Remember when he would always stand during the meetings and refuse to sit even when we invited him to. Remember his passion in freeing all humans of the world, no matter the city, from oppressors. Remember when he would make soul-stirring speeches and give hope to the hopeless.

He was a special man – never will there be anyone else like him. His contributions to the entire human race are innumerable. Gohan said that his last words before gently passing away were of his family. He said to let you know that he was sorry and that he loves you.

I cannot begin to imagine your grief, but the Party will be holding a commemoration ceremony in Mark’s honor in Magincia at the end of next week. We’d very much like you to attend. We hope it can offer some closure to Mark’s unfortunately early departure. We also offer you an open invitation to rejoin the Party at any time you like.

In accordance with Mark’s wishes and the opinions of Gohan and myself, we feel it would be best if your son, Charles, came back to live in Magincia. As Mark’s son, it would be soothe the mourning citizens of the city to have him living amongst his own, his whole family, for that’s what Humanis is. In hard times, we must come together to recover and move forward. Mark asked that Gohan teach Charles. We have made appointments for both Gohan and a highly recommended tutor to educate Charles and provide living arrangements.

Once again, I would like to express to you how much Mark meant to all of us. Feel assured that he will be respected forever and if culprits are to blame for this, they will be brought to justice. Mark will be a symbol of freedom forever in the hearts of Humanity. But more importantly, he will remain one of the greatest men… not politicians, not warriors, not even revolutionaries… just one of the greatest men that we will have ever known. They say you don’t appreciate something until you’ve lost it. I think that’s truer then ever in this case. Mark never really got all the respect he deserved or all the attention like Isk or all the combat knowledge like Gohan, but I don’t think he cared. What he cared about was his family, both you and us – his brothers and sisters in Magincia. We all mourn a relative today, Alizia – one that will never be forgotten.

Yours truly,
Drake Wyntermore
Hand of Humanis

---

It wasn’t until Drake actually wrote the letter that he started feeling the full impact of Mark’s death. The letter was condolence not only to Alizia, but also to himself. He walked out of his room and handed the letter to the woman at the desk, requesting it is sent back to Yew. He walked to the front entrance of the inn and looked outside. There was a woman weeping softly in the street and someone was asking Drake what to do about a boat at the docks but Drake heard him only vaguely. Waving off the interrogator, he walked back into the inn, back into his room and spent some time alone, holding his own personal service to a legend.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drake Wyntermore
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufus Oryan,
I hope to catch you when you are not busy for I bear some unfortunate news. Two evenings past, Mark Randerstill passed away. I understand that you two had your ups and downs but I know that Mark always respected you as a leader and as a man, no matter what he may’ve said. At the end of the week, we will be having a memorial in his name and the Humanis Party would very much like you to attend, if you could fit it into your schedule. I’m not sure if you’re aware, but you were always very popular amongst the population of Magincia and I think they would like it to see you there, as would I.

Hoping to see you soon,
Drake Wyntermore
Hand of Humanis
Drake Wyntermore
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Unity,
I’ve only spoken to you in passing, so it is my hopes that this letter will reach you. I am afraid to say that here in Magincia, we mourn the passing of Mark Randerstill, who died two nights passed. I know that you were good friends with him and I thought we would invite you to our ceremony to be held at the end of the week in Magincia. Mark was a truly special and unique gift to this world, one it will never see the likes of again. There are some people that are irreplacable and I think we can all agree that he was one of them. The Humanis Party hopes to see you soon.

Respectfully,
Drake Wyntermore
Hand of Humanis

P.S.: Mark requested that his mask that he wore for many years be passed on to you. I will give it to you at the commemoration or whenever I see you next.
Sadira Reflov
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote

A messanger came to the Inn where Alizia was staying.

"Tis a letter from Maginica m'lady."

Alizia's sapphire eyes beamed with hope as she took the letter and tipped the messanger.

Yes Mark wrote back!

She thought to herself. She quickly went to her bed and opened it. Her eyes scanned over the introduction..and the first few lines. She shook her head and blinked a few times. Surely that did not say what she believed it to say. She reread the lines over and over again. It couldn't be true. Mark can not be dead. It had to be a trick. She did not lose her life and heart. The letter in her hand just shrank under her grip. She didn't even read the rest of the letter. She couldn't read the rest of it. She stood up and started pacing her room fighting back the tears that threatened to expose themselves. It was a joke...a falsehood. It had to be a test...Mark wanted to see that she would come to him. That had to be it.

He is not dead. He can't be dead. If he were ill they would have came and got me. They know I love him..I would have saved him. Why didn't they come and get me? No its not true. I will go to Maginica and see for myself!

She then went to the Innkeeper....there was a dangerous mixature in her gaze...a gaze that she had not held since Charles passing. She asked if Charles could remain with him and his children and he offered to take care of him til she returned. She went to Charles and just watched him play. How could she tell him? She couldn't tell him..it was a lie...it had to be. She composed herself and went over to him kissing his forehead.

"Sweetie, I have to go to Maginica for a moment. There is someone there that is in need of healing. The healers sent word that they wish for my help."

Charles looked up at her with his sapphire eyes and nodded.

"Oh Mom..tell Dad if you see him that I miss and love him."

Alizia just bit her lip and nodded.

"I will."

She kissed him again and then stepped outside to recall away to Maginicia.
Sadira Reflov
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:32 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The moment she stepped upon Maginica's soil the sorrow overpowered her senses. Her stomache turning into a large knot, her arms went straight to it as if to prevent her previous meal from coming up. She looked around, the colors seemed to have faded. They were not as bright and brillent has they had been that last time she was there. Some of the townsfolk just looked upon her, as if giving her their condolences through their eyes. They recalled when her and Mark had consoled those whom had lost loved ones in the plague. Some gazes were filled with pity, others filled with sympathy. She couldn't bare it. She forced her feet to move forward towards the healers. Each step seemed heavy and only grew heavier the closer she got to her destination. Once at the door, she inhaled sharply as a pain struck her heart. The letter, she had forgotten about, still bundled up in her tight grip. She peeked in to see if she could see Mark. Noone was there. There were no sick...only the healers seemingly finishing their day. One turned around to exit when they bumped into her. The look of shock, on their face, was soon over taken by pity.

"I am so sorry m'lady Randerstill. Tis a hard loss for us all."

He moved trying to put a comforting hand upon her shoulder and she swatted it away.

"Where...is he?"

Her voice breaking up as her grip only grew tighter. The healer shook his head.

"I fear I do not know. We were told that he was with Lord Gohan in his passing."

Gohan? Why...why didn't that moron contact her. Why would he even listen to Mark...if it was Mark's doing? She closed her eyes trying to calm herself. Her first instict was to find Gohan and fireball his arse.

"Do you know where Lord Gohan is?"

Her tone stern yet almost a whispered sorrow. The healer just shook his head informing her that he did not know. Her knees felt like jello as she braced herself against the entrance. Two of the healers went quickly to her, for fear that she would collapse. She brushed them off.

"Do not touch me!"

She snapped at them. They had not seen her this angry before and not knowing her state of mind, they backed off. She turned and headed out of the building. She kept thinking to herself that it could not be true. He did not die on her. He promised he would not leave her...and what of the rest of them. Why didn't someone come and get her? For pete's sake she helped cure a damn plague..surely she could have cured what was ailing her life. The more upset she got the more pain she felt. Her heart had become empty...her breathing short and fast. She wandered almost aimlessly...her head foggy..when she finally came to..she found herself on the bridge looking out over the water for a moment. Then her gaze went to the sky as she found the brightest star in the sky. She started talking to it.

OH Mark...why? Were you truly that upset with me that you would not let me try and heal you? Damnit you promised me..you would never leave me. We could have worked it out. You needed to have more faith in us. Why did you...

She was angry and wanted to tear something up. She looked and noticed the letter still in her death grip. She gazed upon it as if to hope it had the answers she was seeking. She opened it up and moved towards the latern...her legs still feeling weak. Who sent it to her? She then continued to read the rest of it. She shook her head.

"How dare they tell me HOW to remember my husband. I shall remember him as I wish and its not the great leader they saw him as...but the warming husband..the loving father. I will remember him as my husband and the father to my children..not the leader of Maginica...or the Humanis. Damnit! They took him from me in life I wil not let them take my own memories of him and forcing their own."

Her grief had hit its high and the anger was seeping in. She then marched towards the Inn. She asked for some paper and a quill..the Innkeeper nodded then started to offer their condolences. She thanked them and then moved to a chair and started to write.

Drake,

First off, I wish to thank you for informing me of my husband passing. It was considerate of the Party to at least give me that much. Though I do hold the Party responsible for his death. I would like to know why I was not contacted? He was my husband..my life and my heart. You or Gohan or anyone do and did not have the right to decide if I should have been able to intervene or not. I do not care if Mark's wishes were for me to NOT be there...for pete's sake we are referring to a man's life. I would have hoped that the Party would have had enough wisdom to see that maybe I could have saved him. If nothing else, at least I would have been by his side during his final time. That is where a wife's place is suppose to be..not finding out second hand that her world had come to an end. I will be at the commemoration ceremony as I should be. I do not appreciate you and the party informing me of how I should remember my husband. I shall remember him as the man I fell in love with. I will not and do not at this time wish to associate his memory with the Party and or the city that had taken him from me. As for my son, right now I do not feel that it would be proper to send him alone to the city that I despise at this moment and to be raised by a Party that my heart is cold for. Tell me, would you send your child off to the people whom you see partially responsible for your loved ones death? I would hope not. Perhaps things will change but right now, I frankly do not care about Maginica..and their suffering of the loss of a man they did not respect or show respect too.

Sincerely,
Alizia Randerstill

She then folded the parchment then handed it to the Innkeeper.

"Please give that to Lord Wyntermore."

He nodded and then she stepped out. The city was not what she remembered it to be. Her loss and her grief making her unable to handle being near the people, she recalled away. She had children she needed to be with.
Drake Wyntermore
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing Drake was woken up to was a stack of letters all addressed to him. It was early and he was still tired – he didn’t feel like reading them. Looking through the names, though, he noticed Alizia had left something. While reading through it, Drake become more and more frustrated before he simply crumpled the paper and threw it across the room. “Fine! Why should I even try to help then?” he yelled out loud. He stormed from his room and the first person he noticed became his target: the innkeeper. “Don’t they think I care too? All I’m trying to do is help, do you understand that?” he yelled at the innocent innkeeper.

Drake continued muttering to himself as he walked quickly from the inn. “You know, I don’t care. Remember Mark however. Keep Charles in Yew. I don’t care anymore.” Once he realized he was wandering too far from the inn already, he turned around and started pacing in the other direction. “Damn it, Mark, why’d you have to do this? We still need you.”

Grudgingly, Drake marched back into the innkeeper, grabbed some paper off of a desk and scribbled a quick note:

“Alizia-
I am very sorry but I am extremely busy around Magincia and don’t have time to go over details. Make whatever choices you feel are right. As far as why you weren’t contacted, I wrote letters when I found out. You’ll have to speak with Gohan about that.

I will tell you the truth: I don’t know what else to say. I assure you that if I had known, I would’ve done everything I could to prevent this occurrence, as I’m sure Gohan did. I’m afraid that right now, though, I have a lot to do, my own mourning pushed aside.

-Drake”

Writing calmed down Drake a little bit. He gave the letter to the innkeeper and rushed back into his room. He still had many more letters to read over and then go to work and then sort more out and then repeat. “Why, Mark?” Drake muttered, pounding his fist against the wall. “We still needed you.”
Rufus Oryan
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend Drake,

I do send my condolences in this time. I will attend the service for Mark. He was a fellow who voiced his ideals proudly and honestly and stuck to his convicitions. He was a leader in more ways than presented on the surface. Mayhaps we will remember much more of him during the Service and in our life time in general. I shall see you soon friend.

Rufus Oryan,

Sultan of Nujel'm
Sadira Reflov
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:32 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Alizia couldn't handle seeing her son right away or her daughter. So she had the Inn keeper keep her son for a little longer. She paced the floor a few moments.

How am I to tell them?

She kept asking the same question in her mind. She knew that Nadia had grown to love Mark as her own father. He was good to her. Then the question would be replaced with the

Why in the hell did they not come and get me?

Finally she lost the fight she had been fighting for so long and fell to her knees weeping uncontrollably. Beating the bed as if it were her mortal enemy. Just then she heard the door and it was Charles. She looked up at him...her lips quivering. He wasn't suppose to be here. She did her best to straighten herself up. He just gave her this look. He slowly made his way over towards her..the look in his eyes.

"Let me send word to Nadia, she needs to be here too."

He just gave her a nod. He was able to sense something was the matter but was too afraid to ask at the moment. She moved and wrote a message and had it delievered per pigeon to Nadia. She then sat on her bed and beckoned for Charles to come over to her. Once he was there, she propped him on her lap and hugged him tightly. A few moments later, without delay, Nadia came knocking on the door. Alizia told her to come in and patted the seat next to her. Nadia slowly moved over and took a seat. The bloodshot eyes of her mother was telling her more than she needed to know.

"Well, children..."

Her voice cracked abit...she inhaled deeply as to compose herself.

"Your father had passed away a couple of days ago. I had just received word late last eve."

Nadia's eyes just widen...she shook her head.

"Father is dead? How?"

Alizia went on to explain that she was not sure. Nadia broke down and cried, wrapping her arms about Alizia and Charles. Charles for now remained still. He was much like his father. He tried to be strong for his family. Alizia kissed his forehead knowing that she will be up late with him. Perhaps right now with the combination of shock and misbelief and that Randerstill stubborn streak...was what was keeping the tears from flowing. But later tonight...they will flow free and then it will be Alizia's turn to be strong for him. The family mourned together holding each other tight.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: