Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Random Idea: Would you play a new shard?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:31 pm Post subject: Random Idea: Would you play a new shard? Reply with quote

This is completely random. I am not advocating this but the notion came into my head and I'm just curious to see if there are others who feel like I do.

If a new shard was introduced that had cross shard transfers disabled on it, so that everyone literally had to start from scratch and the economy couldn't be influenced from other shards, would you play it? In my mind this shard has full EM support and is a standard server with all the facets. (No Siege rules or anything.)

Why would I want this? Items cannot be worth 500m if 500m does not exist and cannot be cross sharded. EM events would not be swamped with item hungry cross sharders looking to make a buck. The playing field would be even from the start. I realize the drawbacks: Giving up everything. No items, no houses, no history, no heritage. I've considered that heavily but I still feel that I would play on a shard like this if it was created. There is no appeal for .. well.. the kiddies to play on a shard like this. I think it could be a role-playing haven.

Am I alone in my line of thinking? I am sure there are many drawbacks I am not thinking of, and I am not looking to get into the discussion of "It would be empty, no one would play." I am acknowledging that right now. It wouldn't appeal to a great number of communities (PvP, rare collecters, etc).

Thoughts?
Dryzzid#5091 | 74503058
Rosar Ashande
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, but I wouldn't stop playing on Atlantic.
Willow Smythe
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that I would as I feel that I don't have enough time to dedicate to my characters as it is. I'd like to say yes, but I know how I am. =)
Malorn ‎(12:14 AM):
I'm an idiot
Valek Typhoon
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

as a rather large rares/items seller myself, I'd still give it up if it ment a shard like this. Or at least dedicate one of my accounts towards it.
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest issue with playing another shard, even with these rules, is housing. As it stands it is hard enough to maintain the homes I want on Atlantic and without access to additional housing per account for a server like this I don't think it would be worthwhile.

This is what holds me back from trying Siege also, though a thief there would be fun =p
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were to become a possibility, IMO, we should all join under one guild banner for a month as we go around and farm valuables, scrolls, and gold, in order to help us all afford housing in the areas we want. If we worked as one unit, we could all replicate (and in some cases even expand) our current holdings in no time.

Not only would it be a fun experience, but it would be community-morale building and probably the most fun I'd ever have in UO.

We could seriously be the single dominating group on the shard.

Now I want this to happen.
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal Hurst wrote:
If this were to become a possibility, IMO, we should all join under one guild banner for a month as we go around and farm valuables, scrolls, and gold, in order to help us all afford housing in the areas we want. If we worked as one unit, we could all replicate (and in some cases even expand) our current holdings in no time.

Not only would it be a fun experience, but it would be community-morale building and probably the most fun I'd ever have in UO.

We could seriously be the single dominating group on the shard.

Now I want this to happen.

This.
Ariana Lenoir
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Might try it out if it had a strong RP community, but it would never become my main shard and would probably not invest the time to train the characters. I'm also a rares collector and many of my items have sentimental value to me. Having played since the beginning, I wouldn't be willing to give them up or put them in storage. Having them in easy reach and where I can enjoy them is part of what keeps me playing this game.
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only if I could keep my characters names and there history just like they are. I have put alot of time and effort into each of the characters I play. I would not have a problem of building there skill set from scratch again.

I would love to see a shard set up for role players only. But I know that would be almost impossible.

so to answer your question, Yes maybe, who knows
Isk
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

If a new shard opened up I would do my best to rise to the top as soon as possible and become a moderator or alliance leader. Slowly I would try to make things as elite as possible and put rules into effect through use of the message boards that would inevitably form, rules that would keep people beneath me locked while creating a situation whereby I don't really need to log in to remain powerful and respected.
Malo
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

*Laughs Loud and Long*,
Isk, I love you. Your Sarcasm and Irony are superb. I only hope others get your point.
Joanna Weaver
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

Location: ~Magincia~ Republic of Magincia Administrator @}'~,~'<[M]>'~,~'{@

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't play it, to be honest.

I don't play UO for gold, rares, or any of that stuff. I play because of the roleplay, which I am in love with right now. Going to your shard (which sounds a lot like when Origin first opened, aside from no x-shard) would be counter-productive to my roleplay here.

The only way I'd leave Atlantic is if EA shut the shard down or if Isk left it for good.
JCtheBuilder
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

When Lake Austin launched, a ton of people including myself did a mad rush to place a house and start out on the new shard. I believe this was before Character Transfers even existed, or it was disabled. Within days there wasn't a house spot to be found.

A couple months later all those houses fell as no one really felt like moving to a new shard.

While it might seem exciting to start out on a brand new shard, that will quickly fade for a lot of people.
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see with a community effort is guild goals would inevitably take priority over a community group effort. Guilds will want to form cities with guilds, I would want my guild to have a castle in our city surrounded by numerous 18x18s which I am sure other guilds want want as well in other locations. The mad rush to farm would quickly take the place of a community project.

Now, I can fully say if a classic shard comes I will be dedicating myself to that for several months, and possibly permanently if it is formed in a decent time period with either fully classic content or nothing overly annoying. If this occurs I would be down for attempting any group efforts anyone would like to try and I would like to establish a solid roleplaying community there.

Original UO had so many more benefits to roleplayers then the neon, borg cube fest we are currently forced to experience in many areas.
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

If only this happened in the form of a freeshard. Very Happy

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: