Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Guide to Drugs/Potions/Chemicals/Spells

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Darrien Church
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:00 am Post subject: Guide to Drugs/Potions/Chemicals/Spells Reply with quote

Ceinwyn had the great idea of trying to compile a list of drugs...not sure if everyone noticed.

But I know The Cabal alone must have a thousand player-made potions or spells.

It would be nice to try and compile a list for reference and Role-Play concepts.

If the idea interests you, feel free to PM me any potions/drugs/spells ect... you would like to share (please, if you have more then two send them in one giant PM for the love of God) and perhaps we can compile a flashy codex of them all broken down into sections giving credit to each one's creator.

Feel free to share ingredients, back-story, effects, physical appearance anything at all you'd like.

For the more ambitious you can even turn this into an RP experience and write said piece as if it were torn from someone's journal or something.

It would be interesting to see what people have come up with over the years.
Cear Dallben ZOG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed friend. ive been compiling a document on behalf of the cabal. Once i get Dragothiens imput well have a nice entry for Blackrock and a few potions.

U6Online|| Welcome to Blackrock||Sunrise, Isle of the Avatar||Automatic Roleplay
Mairsil
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a long time ago I submitted two books of spells barl wrote to beo for the mega library. I suppose I could send those and some others that I never wrote down in game. I personally am very devoted to barl studying and teaching 'advanced' necromancy, so I perfer working with spells I or my comrades create.

I never liked when anyone who had gm necromancy called themselves a necromancer and rped that it consisted of 17 spells totall. But that is another arugment Smile
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

While a drug library wouldn't be so bad to have, is it really appropriate to have on a board where children can read and all of that? I don't know, but if the word "arse" in its normal term is deemed a bit risky, then I think a whole drug library about what's available in the RP community, and how each drug relates to what real life drug, would be even more risky to the young eyes.

Or am I completely off my rocker?
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a hidden forum? Have to request a password to see it?

Just throwing it out there.
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Raedyn had quite the knowledge of herbs and potions... I believe Beowulf may have a copy of a few of his little manuals.

If not, they're in my Moonglow house, which has probably collapsed by now unfortunately.

-E.
Darrien Church
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

While a drug library wouldn't be so bad to have, is it really appropriate to have on a board where children can read and all of that? I don't know, but if the word "arse" in its normal term is deemed a bit risky, then I think a whole drug library about what's available in the RP community, and how each drug relates to what real life drug, would be even more risky to the young eyes.

Or am I completely off my rocker?

I suppose it depends on how you define drugs, who said we would be looking totally at narcotics or other such types of "nasty" drugs? Remember that aspirin is in fact a drug!

But if your suggesting that we further censor content because you find it may be offensive for younger viewers it is certainly something that can be taken into consideration!

Also to return once more to the issue of "cussing", to perhaps sound mildly offensive, the English language has one of the more vast vocabularies in the western world honestly a less abrasive synonym is not that hard to find..."arse" is one thing but if you cant find a word more true to the medieval period to use in the stead of "b****" or "s***" you perhaps should re-evaluate your command of the King's English. Wink

Some Suggestions (with their sources for reference):

wench = the "B" word

claptrap = Another substitute for "S" from Piers Plowman B.18.142

dung = an obvious use of "S" from The Colloquy of Ælfric Bata

And then...in place of "Holy S****" we can take some medieval English expressions and change then around..

"bloody abyss!"
"By Christ's blood!" = "By British's blood!"

And no...I did not know any of these off hand, it took me *looks at his clock* six min. to look up all these substitutions.

But this has inspired me to piece together a "Medieval Guide To Cursing" and post in the Guide Section to aid people in finding more true-to-period words.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I suppose it depends on how you define drugs, who said we would be looking totally at narcotics or other such types of "nasty" drugs? Remember that aspirin is in fact a drug!

Utopia is directly linked to Opium. First thing on the guide on the forum.

Quote:
Also to return once more to the issue of "cussing", to perhaps sound mildly offensive, the English language has one of the more vast vocabularies in the western world honestly a less abrasive synonym is not that hard to find..."arse" is one thing but if you cant find a word more true to the medieval period to use in the stead of "b****" or "s***" you perhaps should re-evaluate your command of the King's English. Wink

Perhaps you should reread what I wrote, as I was not contesting the "ruling" on the cussing or censoring issue, but I was moreso using that as a guideline towards what perhaps should be done here.

So, to perhaps sound mildly offensive, you might want to brush up on that reading comprehension.

I don't think a "cussing guide" is really necessary. In fact, I think it'd be absolutely useless.
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:18 pm Post subject: Drug guide and Dictionary Reply with quote

Perhaps the drug guide could be one that is IN game ONLY like a PDR a book written in game, dated with a publish date and then an update date when something new is added. They could be in rp libraries or sold by what ever scribe/publisher wished to do so?

This might also be a good choice for a dictionary? A IG book of commonly used phrases and words from different regions of Sosaria? Like a Spanish phrase book you could buy?

This might open up a nice little niche for an IG book store?

I know my mother kept a first aid type book when we were little kids, I had a few reference books on accidental poisonings etc.
Nh'bdy
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I whole heartily support the furthering of In Game written lore, and will sacrifice time to to so, as well as IC resources. A backing out of game, for copy-pasta reference, or general reference is nice, but seeing the things in game is sort of neat. The Fox Fire books come to mind.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: