Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Leaving the Empire Part 1

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic
Merleena
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:49 pm Post subject: Leaving the Empire Part 1 Reply with quote

Merleena awoke unrested and feeling haggard. Her restless sleep was filled with dreams of great battles waged. Images of carnage and bloodlust and sounds of warhorses hooves thundering away still swam in and out of her consciousness. She rose and splashed cool water on her face from the basin near the far end of the room. That helped only slightly and now she was chilled. She shivered just as the door to her bedchamber opened and her servant Elise came quickly to her. She held a shawl which she wrapped around Merleena's shoulders. Merleena moved to the chair by the window and sat looking out across the great lawn of the castle. Elise stood near her silently until her Mistress turned to look at her. "What is it Elise?, she asked, not a little irritably. M'Lady, there is a messenger on the stoop that brings a letter for you," she said quietly. "Tis from Lord Alarin I assume?" Merleena mused. "Nay M'Lady, the messenger bears the crest of the Order of Sanctus." Merleena's brow knit together in part out of irritation but mostly from confusion. "What do you suppose the bringers of light want from me Elise?" Merleena chuckled as she made her way downstairs to the messenger. The smirk slid slowly from her face when after opening the small parchment she noticed the familiar scrawl of Sir Thomas DeRock. She read silently;

My Dear Friend Merleena,
I must see you immediately. I fear for you. I have received news I wish you only hear from me. I will expect a reply with my messenger.

Thomas DeRock

What on earth did Thomas want to see her about? She could not imagine. What could be so important? Last she saw him, he did inquire as to her allegiance to Lord Alarin. He had tried to talk to her about virtues and the like but she would hear none of it. Her place was with The Empire. She hoped this was not some ploy to convince her to seek the light to which he had devoted his entire life. Only when she lay the letter aside and told Elise she must dress quickly, did she notice that the messenger boy still stood in her doorway. She eyed him disdainfully and snapped, "You have completed your task have you not, be gone from my house." "Nay M'Lady, I was asked to wait for your reply and that I shall do." he answered almost haughtily. She smiled a very cold smile and lifted one hand toward him His eyebrows raised slightly as her lips began moving while she muttered an ancient chant almost inaudibly and thin, silver tendrils seemed to crawl from the ends of her fingers toward him. The tendrils caressed his face and neck as a lover would. As he began to smile, Merleena quickly closed her fist and the tendrils snapped his neck and he fel to the floor in a heap. "Go and tell the stableboy to prepare my horse for a short journey." she told Elise. Looking down at the crumpled form at her feet, she said nonchalantly, "And remove this from my house." "Yes, M'Lady." Elise replied and hurried off.

As she made her way back to her bedchamber to dress for light travel, images of the dreams that awakened her that morning came again to the forefront of her consciousness. Bits and pieces of them slowly coming back, Lord Alarin sending her to The Lost Lands to gather ingredients for some potion and ceremony, (eyes of the sphinx she remembered was one of the ingredients necessary) him sending a raven to her with word of his wishes, then disturbingly she remembered...total and utter blackness..not just dark...no, blackness, devoid of any and all light and a pain unlike she had ever experienced centered above the bridge of her nose, directly between her eyes.

She shook off the feelings as best she could and began dressing for her journey....
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: