Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Save UOs RP?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Gerek Darkheart
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:59 am Post subject: Save UOs RP? Reply with quote

As most of you know the players in UO have decreased immensly during the past years that have gone by. The Europa community of RPers is currently having a discussion on how we can improve RP in UO I thought that this could be intresting to read or discuss on your shards aswell.

*original topic*
http://www.f4g.net/drake-dragon/9268-save-rp-europa.html

Some suggests merges between Shards I would like to ask what peoples opinion is about this on this Shard. Thanks in advance.

/Gabriel.
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to save RP right now, is for all your decent roleplayers to do like great lakes did. join atlantic.
Atlantic News
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Roleplay declines with the playerbase as a whole, which will always decline after an expantion that has not met with new content or another expansion in reasonable time. It is inevitable that with stygian abyss the playerbase will go up and RP will as well. So just hang in there.

merging is a personal decision. and should not me made by a shard at whole.

I may soon however with the help of others get all shards RPers to join together on a single shard for a massive meet and greet with the usual RP games and what not. this may help until Stygian abyss is released.
With multiple communities and all shard reporters involved. we could have one hell of an event.
Bishimi
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceinwyn ab'Arawn wrote:
The best way to save RP right now, is for all your decent roleplayers to do like great lakes did. join atlantic.

i gotta agree...while it wasnt the easiest choice we had to make i gotta admit it was a good one. GL was going through the same decline...RP amounted to like 2 or three guilds so we picked up and came to where the action was.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Always made me wonder if any of the RP freesharders would be interested in roleplaying on official servers if they knew there was roleplay. Or vice versa Shocked
Nh'bdy
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Merging two communities? Why that doesn't sound like it will conflict atall.

Roleplay it. For the love of all things Sosarian roleplay it!
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is why this will not work as it is state:

1. People have put a lot into their characters. Some people have 11 years of history with their characters that they just wouldn't want to throw it away and merge into another community with new personalities, etc.

2. Player housing. Some people have very unique player houses. And again, some guilds have massive holdings in a certain area. MTC, Umbra, and Sanctus come to mind. None of these guilds will pack it all up and go to another shard just to do this.

3. Rules. We have all been abiding by our community's rules for some time. We will be hard pressed to find a happy medium that all roleplay communities can agree on as far as rules go.

4. Atlantic has a thriving RP community right now. We do not feel the hurt that other communities are feeling right now.

5. Select ONE shard that we all should go to. I don't think this could -ever- be majorly agreed upon. Ever. For all of the above reasons.

My solution:

Instead of trying to "combine" all of the communities into one, those who feel that their RP community is far from saving should find one that is thriving. That is what a number of people who are here have done. From Great Lakes to Catskills, people have migrated here to Atlantic for roleplay, and they do not regret it.

Feeling the sting? Come to Atlantic.
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlantic use to be the number 1 shard for RP. Years back, it had the most players for rp and pvp. As it stands, over the last year or so, the ARPC has made a tighter bond than ever before.

For the first time in, almost forever, there is a slight "harmony" to our community. There has never been a time that our boards have been so free from "Flame threads" or complaints, or harassments or any type of BS.

Atlantic endures. Atlantic, is still the largest shard in UO. That means, even though other shards are losing activity and players, we still remain at large.

Europa for the last few years has had the largest shard for RP. But its a different rp than we do here. Theirs is.."simple" (if you will) "plain" would be another way to look at it. On Atlantic, you have -much- more imagination behind your characters, their history, guilds etc.. Europa limits too many things. Don't get me wrong, I loved the rp on Europa, mainly because it was so busy and such. But I got sick of being a regular old soldier. BUT, alot of people like that type of RP. Not bashing it, just saying, it's different than ours.

Like Vaen said, it'd be far too difficult to have all RP communitys move to another shard, for reasons stated. Hell, we have Rivendell houses grandfathered into ruins. Guilds can always buy out areas of houses, but sometimes its not that easy at all. It'd also be next to impossible, to determine a set of rules.

In retrospect, every community on UO, could make chars or transfer other chars to a designated shard to have one large community there. But, have fun picking that -one- shard. Annnd its tough to rp on another shard when everything you've worked so hard for, is on another shard.

So, again, like Vaen said, if other shards feel like the number loss's are taking a toll on them, feel free to try Atlantic. ARPC is more than willing to help set you up and the whole nine. It took a while for guilds to settle in with new rule sets and atlantic history and such..but they did. No matter how much UO slows down, Atlantic will -always- be active.
Viktor Crow
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a friend for my first RP guild on GL that is in the process of making a free shard... if all communities want to join together that may be an option, free for everyone, and all start fresh, ill post a link to his site in a bit, need to look for it again

http://uoresurgence.com/index.php
Starfire
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:21 pm Post subject: One major drawback Reply with quote

Most seem to have overlooked the time issue. Those who play on Atlantic do so because their time zone is within a couple hours either way. And yes, there are a few who play way out of their time zone. People who play Europa are most likely within a couple hours of the same time zone. But a person on Pacific time zone would not find too many folks to roleplay with when it would be say about a ten hour time lag. In other words, they would be active at 12 noon and Europa would be ready to get to sleep.
Viktor Crow
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

true, but the leader of my old guild on GL went to Europa when he left GL and he played there... i continued with the new guild created, and i was living in Germany... had quite the time diff there. and another thing, people in diff time zones spreads RP out a little, more likely to find RP at anytime.
Morio_Kitsune
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I played eur for years.... live in the uk.... came to atl cause all eur rp really is alot of tavern nights and the odd attack from highway robbers in full plate armour armed with a cleaver or dagger.....

my time zone is GMT, which means if most events happen at 9pm est... thats 2 am my time....
Molly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlantic was the first shard created and it gave us this great roleplay base where anytime you got on no matter what time there was always someone around to roleplay with. It can be done as it was then if people want to make the effort to make the change.

I was working evening shift work back then and would come home and play half the night. Some of my best roleplay was after 2 in the morning. Welcome to anyone that wishes to make the switch and as best we can we will try to envelope your historys into our own. We can always roleplay the shard you come from becoming unstable, in the history of the game it tells you that some would be different than others with it's own unique historys. Bring them with you and work out some roleplay that will help you join Atlantic.

It's all about Roleplay. See you in game!
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoGDbJ5nLU
Viktor Crow
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to Miller today, and he would be happy for us to come if we wanted to take all shards RP communities and form one, his shard is a 100% RP shard... he also said if anyone wants to put input in on the shard, go to his website and post on the forums.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, whenever it was suggested that the community 'move' to a freeshard, it has NEVER been met with a positive response - I don't need to spend a paragraph talking about established roleplay, characters, accomplishments, houses, et cetra. It just doesn't work out.

However, once upon a time, there was a shard tailored basically by Atlantic players, for Atlantic players, if any of you recall Silverfalls. There were two incarnations of it, and I can't speak for the second one, but the first one was a success for those that played it.

I've actually been wondering if a freeshard that was not a replacement for Atlantic would interest anyone. A cross between a persistent world and a D&D campaign, tailored for Atlantic players. I have toyed around with that concept in my free time off and on.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: